Sunday, July 15, 2012

Spanking fiction in the sort-of mainstream. No, not 50 Shades... Literotica

Alright, so everyone in hates 50 Shades of Grey.  That's the impression I get from those in the spanking community.  Erica pointed out a blog with a series of scathing reviews of each chapter. I read a few of them, and did chuckle.  I get it.  Within the spanking community we're sensitive to stereotypes and negative portrayals when this spanking thing we do is exposed to a wider audience.  I get that.  I hated the movie Secretary when I finally watched it.

But twenty million people bought one of the three Shades of Gray books. It's become a phenomenon not just within the spanking community, but among the general public.  Here's a recent CNN article on it, and then there's this...


Here's my take on it: sure maybe the writing sucks, and it's silly, and chock full of stereotypes, but a lot of ladies that might not have been exposed to the joys of erotic kinky sex are now... well, at least enjoying reading about it, but hopefully might want to live out some of those fantasies in real life.  I think that's a good thing.  The first spanking stories I read on the internet jump-started an interest that was always there.  However, looking back, a lot of those early stories I read were awful.

Speaking of spanking stories in the (sort-of) mainstream... Literotica.com is, I'm pretty sure, the largest website for sexy stories around.  It dwarfs anything spanking related on the internet in both size and readership.  There are a lot of good sexy stories, and there are a lot of awful ones too.  Every day they approve about 50 new stories.  The stories are categorized (group sex, romance, bdsm, exhibition/yoyeur, incest, nonconsent, lesbian, gay, sci-fi, and many more) so you can find (or avoid!) stories based on your interests.  There's not a spanking category, but you can look up stories based on their "tags" of subject matter.  Under the spanking tag there are over 4,500 stories.  Now, not all of these are stories primarily about spanking. But there are some good ones in there.  Caligula took down his webpage with illustrated versions of his spanking novels, but his stories live on Literotica.  I also recommend TruthandLove's stories.  A couple of other authors with a focus on spanking I saw just from a quick review of the first couple of pages under the spanking tag... PolyVoyeur and Totzman.  These folks are likely unknown to most in the spanking community, but their stuff is read by many who are into "mainstream" smutty stories.  Just thought I'd share.

13 comments:

  1. i like this site:
    http://www.asstr.org/~frenulum/index.htm

    Thought I'd share too :)

    and thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't seen that one before- I read one of them and liked it! thanks.

      Delete
  2. I finally just finished 50 Shades last night. It took several weeks for me to get through, which says a lot about how keen I was about finishing it. I'll save my comments on that for another time...

    I just wanted to add www.lokirenard.com to the list. Some of my favorite stories come from that site!

    SC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognized the name, and just took a look. I can tell you that if Loki Renard's stories are published at Bethany's Woodshed, that those stories pretty much leave almost everything published on literotica in the dust. It's been awhile since I subscribed to Bethany's, but you certainly got what you paid for there! I remember another sort of fantasy pirate story there that I really liked. May have to check it out.

      Delete
  3. So on Literotica there are 4500 spanking stories? Ok, but in the Kilahara Library of Spanking Fiction there are nearly 20,000 and it is the fastest growing site in the world for spanking fiction. There are over 500 authors (including yours truly).I can't recommend it highly enough. It's interactive, cataloged, categorized and each story has a synopsis--I could go on and on. Oh, and it's FREE. All you have to do is register, anonymously if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rollin, I couldn't agree with you more- that site is great! (just wish my phone didn't have trouble with it.) I love the search function and the word count so you can tell how long it is before you get into it, and even the little pink blue and green overlapping dots that tell you if it's the kind of story you're looking for... I highly recommend that site too.

      I just figured that most folks reading this would be familiar with thespankinglibrary, while the spanking stories on literotica are, in a sense, buried out in the open among the less specialized erotic stories on that site.

      Delete
  4. Oops. I should add the URL. www.spankinglibrary.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know how much I love this. Good, bad, beautiful, ugly, indifferent. These are the stories of our lives.

    Was that a song in a coffee commercial?

    I first discovered Literotica looking for audio. I like to listen. I like to be talked to and read to.

    I love the stories. Thanks to the commenters who posted links. And thank you. There can never be too many stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emen. Yes, I failed to mention the audio stories on literotica where someone reads the story in a sexy voice. those can be fun too.

      Delete
  6. Looks like I messed up again. The new URL for KLSF (see above) is www.thespankinglibrary.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know, maybe I need a section that just has non-blog links on here.

      Delete
    2. The LSF also has a blog which is linked to their main site, maybe you could add that to your blogroll instead?

      http://spankinglibrary.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  7. Hi,
    I'm the TruthAndLove that you mentioned. A friend of mind just discovered this blog and told me about it. Thank you for recommending my stories. I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete