Saturday, September 22, 2012

Is Pain Important? Yes.

Not too long ago I was stung by a wasp right outside my house.  I'd just spent most of the afternoon working in the yard, and had sprayed a wasp nest, among a bunch of other things.  When I was done and exhausted, I went in and got a shower.  After that, I put on shorts and a T-shirt and went out barefooted, to admire all that I had done.  One of the wasps that was sprayed I guess didn't die.  I was walking around the house, and all of a sudden I felt a tremendous pain on my foot.  I looked down, and a wasp was on my foot stinging me.  It hurt far worse than any insect bite I've ever experienced, and I'm not ashamed to admit that my first reaction was to scream like a little girl.  I shook the wasp off my foot and then stomped on it over and over with my still bare foot.  It was well past dead.  There was some growling involved.  

Later that evening, I looked it up on the internet.  It was a paper wasp.  Later I looked it up, and according to the Schmidt Sting Pain Index- a scale of 0 to 4 where a fire ant is a 1.2 and a bee sting is up to a 2.0, this was a 3.  Yep, my reaction was confirmed.  The sting hurts like hell. 

But between the time I was stung and the time I looked it up on the internet, something interesting happened. It was about 15 minutes after I was stung.  It still hurt plenty, but the most intense pain had worn off.  I felt a little excited, almost emotionally high.  I was full of energy, and maybe even a little giddy.  I recognized it.  I haven't been spanked more than a handful of times, but I recognized the same rush of endorphins, and was experiencing it.    

Heck, maybe I'm into the wrong fetish.  It'd be a lot easier to aggravate a wasp's nest than to pay someone to to spank me on occasion.  When I found ladies out there wanting spankings, I could just capture one of these wasps.  No need to take your panties off or discuss safewords- just stick your hand in the jar with a wasp!  

Of course not... there's a lot more to spanking than just the pain.  On the other hand, the pain is a big part of it.  My experience with the wasp just confirmed that it was the pain itself that led to some of the after-spanking pleasure.  So the next time you here someone say "Well, it's SUPPOSED TO HURT!" you'll know that they're right.    

P.S. this post was inspired, in part, by Bonnie's thought provoking Spanko Brunch Question this week.  I could wring several posts out of those questions, and I just might.

12 comments:

  1. We've had a terrible problem with wasps this year too, and Ron was stung by one as he walked by the nest, even though he was a few metres away. He did NOT enjoy the experience, and it took two weeks for his arm to return to normal. But then, he's a top, and isn't into receiving pain.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear that. I guess I'm lucky I didn't have as bad a reaction as some do. I wouldn't say I enjoyed the experience myself... But I did recognize some of the endorphin rush.

      Delete
  2. I think it's similar because of how our body reacts to protect us from pain.

    I remember once I hurt my hand and was in intense pain (even through heavy pain medication), and it calmed me, too. Though a spanking is a lot less expensive than an ER bill...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you're right. Actually... with my insurance an ER visit is far less expensive than a session with a professional spanker.

      Delete
  3. Ouch! I think I definitely prefer spankings instead of wasp stings. But I think you are right about the endorphins part. Maybe kinksters should use a wasp and toe metaphor instead of the bees and flowers story in order to explain their sexual preferences? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear the wasp and toe metaphor is likely to confuse folks even more, but it's a funny thought!

      Delete
  4. Only you would wring this from a wasp sting. I think that's why I generally go off into blahblahland when I try to comment here. You set me off -- Wtf? Really? Yeah. Maybe. Chick-Fil-A? Libyans? Bill Clinton? Don't pout? Vulnerable.

    I thought I would ground myself in research. Googled "fetish put hand in jar with wasps". There you are. Number 6 on the list. And the only one with any relevance. Weirdly hot.

    The pain is important. But as you say, it's all the rest of it. The conscious decision to submit to that cleansing pain brings me to orgasm. A wasp sting wouldn't. Tho I might feel the endorphin release.

    I feel dangerously close to blahblah. Loved your comment to Bonnie with all the other great comments. I'm awed. I await your further ruminations.

    But seriously, all y'all too deep for me :) I'm very shallowly happyspankee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I certainly hope you enjoy being happyspankee. I'll be the 1st to admit that I enjoy this creative outlet, and that I don't spend ALL my time thinking about spankings... but think about spankings enough that even seemingly very unrelated things like wasp stings lead me back to it!

      And that's too funny about wasp fetish google search!

      Delete
  5. Oh dear -- sorry about your wasp encounter!

    OK, I've never been stung by a bee, a wasp, a hornet or any other nasty stinging creature. But I can guaran-damn-tee I'd never get any sort of endorphin rush from that pain, any more than I do from my dentist striking a tooth nerve or ramming my toe into the coffee table.

    Why? 'cause insects, dentists and living-room furniture don't turn me on. They don't have laps. They don't scold or get inside my head. They just @#$%ing HURT. And lying on my bed curled up around a dead wasp after a sting wouldn't serve as good aftercare for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But what if it was a really cute dead wasp?!

      I certainly don't think that pain itself is all there is to it... I haven't searched for waspstingtube or posted an ad on waspstingfinder- but I think it is at least a little part of it.

      Delete
  6. Ouchhh! Bee stings suck, so im sure the wasp sting was even worse. It is interesting how our bodies react to pain. Hope the sting is better now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. No worries, it wore off rather quickly (an after yardwork beer or three helped). But I was fortunate I didn't have a reaction or anything.

      Delete