Tuesday, August 20, 2013

secretspanko tip- hiding naughty stories on kindle on iphone

A recent post of mine generated some buzz among a spanking corner of the internet I hadn't explored fully: spanking romance authors and those who love them. Of course I love the unexpected attention, and have enjoyed some dialogue with those authors.

(Paraphrased- "you mean, you're a real disciplinarian?! I didn't know those really existed outside of our fantasy world!" Actually I'm not a true disciplinarian- they have to decide to stop smoking for themselves,  but I hope to remind them or just fulfill a fantasy, blah blah blah...)

Spanking stories have certainly come a long way from the early days when I first found them on the internet. It's now a really big deal.  One author who commented on that post recently had a spanking novel, complete with a bodice-ripper cover to put Fabio to shame, that entered the Amazon top 100 list and the top ten in science fiction. So clearly there's a market for spanking fiction.  But... How does one hide it on their iphone or ipad?  Here's an amusing thread on an Amazon forum about just that. Lots of folks want to download naughty books.  But they want the fact that they read naughty books kept a secret from others that might use their ipad or Amazon account.  My favorite comment was from "Lonesome Dove" (my all-time favorite novel, by the way!) who said:

"I share my kindle with my kids and I do not want them reading my graphic violent content, fifty shades is not something my 13 year old daughter needs to read, I am an adult and should have the ability to block content from her. Come on Amazon this is 2013 we need a fix here."

The threads been going for about two years!  It's a legitimate concern, and one that to my knowledge Amazon has not addressed.  I'm here to help though.  :)

So... you have a kindle app and you want to download one of these fun naughty books, but you're afraid to because someone might see it on your kindle/ipad etc... Okay, 1st, set up a naughty email account. (Like I told you to way back when!) Next, use this naughty email address to set up a separate naughty account with Amazon. Pick a "naughty" Amazon ID and password.  If you're really paranoid I guess you could even use a prepaid visa card you bought at the grocery store to do so.  Then go to Amazon.com and buy all the naughty books you want on that account.

Then go to the kindle app on your iphone/ipad, and when you open it, touch the little gear on the bottom right corner.  It opens settings which should look like this:

squiggled out my real life info, sorry.
 Then touch the blue "Update" - it will show this screen:

 
 Click on the bright yellow "Deregister this Kindle" button.  It's hard to miss. Don't be scared.

Click "OK" (I guess Amazon is really scared you'll do something like this and makes you take so many steps to actually do it.)  You'll end up with the very basic kindle screen.

Now enter your "naughty" Amazon ID, and click on "Register this Kindle" - Wallah! all your naughty books will be there.
See? The whole thing takes about 10 minutes to set up, but about one minute once it's set up to reverse or do again.  Note that I took this as a real screenshot of what was on my "naughty" kindle account awhile back when I first thought about writing a post about this. Yes, Erica, I've read much more of your book since then! And I should mention Rollin Hand, one of the few authors still around from my posts about early internet spanking stories- many of his stories are now on Amazon as well. I also want to point out a favorite sorta amateur non-spanking author, Elliott Kay is on there. I mentioned him once before. I've been a reader of literotica.com through the years. It's one of the most widely visited websites on the entire internet, featuring erotica in all forms.  He started out under a different name there, but quickly and dramatically rose to the top of the rankings on that site with a novel about a young man who inadvertently rescued a demon and angel and the hot sex and violence that ensued.  Unlike anyone I've seen before on there, he took the stories down and published them.  He wrote a non-erotic book called Poor Man's Fight, which I bought and read in a couple of days.  The sequel to the story about Angels and Demons and Alex was published recently (I've already finished it.)

But anyway- there you go.  I'm tempted to post this on that amusing thread of all the folks who are worried about how to hide their 50 shades of grey book from their daughters, but I suspect those of you reading this are wanting to hide stuff that's a lot more naughty than that book!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention! My kindle should explode with all the spanking stories I've got on there by the way…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. explode? or eventually fall to ash... after the smoldering heat of those steamy loves scenes ignites the "kindling" first and then intense flames engulf the long hard cylindrical, ah, logs that generate a passionate heat. Okay so I could never write steamy romance. I wont try. But I'm happy to share tips like this. Thanks for the mention of my earlier post on your blog.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the mention, SS. Hope you enjoyed "LaForge." Yes, "spanking romance" is huge and the thing about it is that at least from looking at the covers, you'd think these books are conventional romance. It's only when you read the blurb that you know it's something different. So hiding these is easy---you don't really have to. Not so with "spanking erotica." These books are more focused on TTWD and the titles and covers can be dead giveaways. That is one reason why I'm redesigning many covers to make things less obvious. I don't want to scare off potential readers by having some lurid cover. But if they use your technique there's less chance of that. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy LaForge. Thank you. I wasn't aware until fairly recently of the difference between spanking erotica and spanking romance- just thought they were all spanking stories. Some were just longer and with less frequent spankings than others. I think the cover illustrations are fascinating, and I'm sure a lot of work for authors of both types to pick the right one.

      Delete
    2. The way I see the difference is first, spanking romances have a hero, a heroine, a romantic encounter, and an ending that is either HEA (happily ever after) or at least HFN (happy for now); second romances tend toward novel length in order to focus on the relationship, not just the spankings. Women appear to be the main consumers.
      Spanking erotica is more diverse. It might be just about conflict or situations that end in or feature punishment--boarding school dramas, crime and punishment stories, institutional tales. There might be love affairs but maybe not. In addition spanking erotica as a genre seems geared much more toward the short story or novelette form.
      Your comment on covers is spot on. The trick is to have something suggestive, but not too graphic. Amazon hides books with nudity on the covers.

      Delete
  3. Ah, the age of technology. Our forefathers (and mothers) hid the naughty books and magazines under the mattress.

    Happy to hear you've gotten past the first few pages, SS. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. uhm... I used to hide Penthouse Variations (which had spanking stories) under my mattress growing up!

      Delete
  4. This was very informative, but I won't share my kindle. I agree with Natasha, my kindle should burst into flames with all the smut I have on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go- read my response above about them bursting into flames instead of exploding- or wait... maybe I got it wrong. Maybe the flames are so hot they can't help but explode in passion. ;)

      Glad you liked it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Nice tips! This was useful! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete