Sunday, October 13, 2013

spanko in 1680's London, but not many spankos on reddit?

Reddit calls itself the frontpage of the internet, and it sort of has a point. A week or so ago I saw this on the front page of the front page of the internet. The title was "TIL [aka "Things I learned" in reddit-speak] that in the late 1600s London was plagued by an attacker who would spank his victims with a rod and shout 'Spanko!' before running away"

Apparently "Whipping Tom" attacked ladies in the countryside of jolly ole England back around the turn of the eighteenth century, and would whip their buttocks. I was somewhat surprised that the huge amount of comments (677 comments) on reddit didn't evolve into modern day spankos piping up and claiming the "spanko" moniker as something more modern and less sinister than a sexual predator of centuries ago.

8 comments:

  1. You have me giggling. What an odd fact to know… ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought spanko was a modern term. Who knew?

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is so funny! Who would have thought it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty amused reading it myself. crazy.

      Delete
  4. It's so weird that a little news story like that would survive the centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was pretty weird yet fascinating myself.

    ReplyDelete