Friday, February 14, 2014

getting to the bottom of the heart

The heart. Next to maybe the Christian cross, or the peace symbol, it's the most recognized non-geometric symbol in the world. It's a symbol of love. And as Valentine's Day approaches, it becomes even more prominent. Long, long ago I saw a discussion about how an upside-down heart should become a symbol for spanking aficionados, much like the three tear-drop yin/yang looking symbol for bdsm. I searched, but couldn't find it on a probably long-since abandoned spanking message board.  The upside-down heart as a symbol of spanking sort of makes sense.
It sorta looks like it, and it's pink, or even red.  Confused? maybe this helps a bit...
Plus, well, there's this...
and these...


But it got me thinking about the origin of the heart symbol. I suppose it could be a stylized version of an actual human heart.  Very stylized, I guess.
I found a few discussions revolving around how the heart shape came to be, and possible theories on the inspiration for it. Maybe so.  But I'll leave you with my heart-felt inspiration:
Happy Valentine's day, y'all.


5 comments:

  1. I like your inspiration the most...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw that and thought it was an amazing picture. Hallmark should do something like that for next year's valentine's day cards, don't you think?!

      Delete
  2. I know I'm late, but happy late Valentines day. Hope you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete