Wednesday, August 6, 2014

inspired by Hermione's "from the top shelf" -Harry Potter scared about getting the cane

Earlier this week, the perhaps ironically named Hermione posted a brief excerpt from a Stephen King novel containing a scene with a couple of belt "whuppins".   I found a spanking related reference in another best-selling novel this month, and figured it was worth mentioning.

As it turns out, I'm reading the first Harry Potter book a chapter a night to my kids as a bedtime story. I'll admit, it's a bit of a beating - pun unintended. Now I'll also admit that I've read a whole bunch of stories about British boarding schools through the years, and most are much shorter and involve students getting the cane. Hogwarts is a British boarding school. So perhaps I shouldn't have been, but I was shocked when, in Chapter 9, there's a reference to caning.  Harry has just shown himself to be surprisingly adept at flying with a broomstick, and for an admirable reason, but in doing so has broken the rules.  A professor sees what he has done, and summons him to come with her. He's afraid he will be expelled or caned. When I was reading it I almost saw the word "cane" in the next line before I read it and tried to read it quickly, hoping my kids wouldn't ask what that meant. Fortunately, they didn't. There are a lot of weird words in the book, and a lot of strange customs and I think they only grasp the main points of the story anyway. 

I looked on the internet to see if there were any references to that scene/line in the book and I couldn't find much, save for the comments here. However- I was shocked to discover that there are over 100 fan-fiction stories written about spanking in the Harry Potter universe, as well as another 50+ more in a separate section involving pure discipline (without sex). Seriously.

I admit that I wouldn't mind reading about Hermione (the character, not the blogger- well, okay maybe her too) getting caned later on- like several books later- after she's of age. Hopefully by that point I won't be reading it as a bedtime story!

I couldn't find any good illustrations for this post. (They're all holding magic wands, not canes or switches!)
But I did find one amusing image with a search for "Harry Potter spanking" and I'll leave you with that...

2 comments:

  1. When I read about boarding schools I always think of caning as a possibility. Rowling was writing for a modern child audience so I guess that's why she wouldn't have included actual canings. I've read several fan fiction stories about Hermione getting spanked by Professor Snape.

    Hugs,
    The other Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment; I didn't know as much about Snape until the end of the 1st book!

    ReplyDelete