Sunday, April 3, 2016

In with the old...

Spanking blogs come and go. It's natural. Someone into spanking reads blogs, and thinks, "Hey I could do that! I have important things to say about spanking!" ...and they eventually get their courage up or get a moment of ambition and they start a blog. 

But... It takes awhile for a blog to gain a readership, and at the beginning they're just kind of talking to themselves. Still one of my most-read posts is one about this phenomenon- first posts are cool. To help new spanking bloggers gain an audience, for years Bonnie would post a list of new spanking blogs on her blog called "in with the new" providing links to new blogs and even helpfully color-coding them by type. You weren't really a spanking blogger until you've been featured on an "in with the new" post.  That's a task that was taken over briefly by Hermione, then since by a blog that's gone private.  --edit: and now hosted by Ronnie's blog. Thanks Hermione!

Having an audience is great. You can interact with others in comment or collaborating. It's fun. But... blogging can be a lot of work. At some point you run out of things to say about spanking that haven't already been said several time before. At some point you realize you're not writing on your blog because it's fun, but because you now have an audience and you feel compelled to post something. At some point, if you have limited personal "naughty time" on the internet perhaps there's greater utility and personal enjoyment out of spending that time reading spanking stories or looking at hot pictures or watching videos than in writing on your blog. Sometimes one becomes over-saturated with spanking and you'd rather spend your precious personal time on the internet reading and watching things like sports or politics or your other hobbies or something obscure on YouTube or Netflix. So blogs fade away. I posted something just a year after my blog was featured on the "in with the new" post about my "class" and most were no longer active.  I looked at my blog roll recently and there are several that haven't been updated in over a year. I should update it. Exacerbating this is that more and more we consume the internet on our phones or tablets, and I have discovered that trying to blog from those platforms is a real pain in the ass (and not in a good way!)

But... at some point maybe you realize there was a reason you enjoyed blogging, and maybe you miss it.  I've noticed a bit of a mini trend: spanking bloggers recently re-engaging after having taken a break.

Oh, and yous truly.  I took a break and have attempted to re-engage. I missed it. Perhaps it would help if I updated my blog roll! I bet I'm missing several bloggers who were active and have recently tried to re-engage- feel free to let me know in the comments.



12 comments:

  1. I'm glad your blog is back!

    Just so you know, after Blossom and Thorn went private, Ronnie took over the In with the New feature, and she posts one at least once a month on her blog, Heart and Soul.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you!
      dang I should have known that- I swear she was on my blog roll- I'll edit and include that.

      Delete
  2. Hey, glad you're back. You've posted some great material in the past. I wish writers who no longer want to keep blogging would at least keep their published stuff still up there on the web for reference. I'm concerned great stories are being lost to posterity due to the volatility of the medium. Still, I understand that for some people it's a personal privacy matter. KFG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes my day! thanks. I'll always keep this up (I think) in part because I'm amazed that some of my old posts still get comments and pageviews.

      Delete
  3. Hi -
    Great post. Nice summary of the spanking blogosphere.
    I often wonder if we blog for ourselves or for our limited audiences and what we imagine they want to hear?
    I am actually at the other end of where you are now, I seem to be at the place where real life and the time dedicated to blogging may need to take a back seat to more pressing issues.
    Best always,
    Enzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part, I decided I'd write what I want to write about, without consideration for what my audience wants. (That's why I throw in occasional politics, college football, nurses, etc... that most spankos probably couldnt care less about.)
      My advice if you're feeling pressure and lack of time to indulge in blogging- take a step back; take a beak, take care of what you need to... and do it again when you feel like it and when you'll enjoy it. and remember this is for fun- the vast majority are not getting paid to blog.

      Delete
  4. Just saw this, SS.

    My absence was about balance. And life just got complicated and I didn't want to share much. But...I think I'm back. I've really missed the blogging world and my blogger friends. I hope you keep it up, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote this, and by golly I didnt follow up and this comment got stuck in the comments awaiting moderation until just now... I liked your recent zipless post

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for this post. Thank you for saying it's about the fun and the joy and the rush. Too easy to forget that, as you say, pressure builds. But some of the best are back. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emen! I've missed you. glad you're still around. sadly I wrote this post and didnt follow up until just now and saw I had a few comments awaiting my moderation...

      Delete
  6. It's been a long time since I've visited your blog. I'm glad to see the Sorority paddle series is still alive. Just last semester at a local college here in North Carolina I got first hand information from a junior student who worked for the summer that the sororities still paddle. It was just a one night deal but she told me it was no joke. She said they had to crawl through a line of big sister legs and they got their ass swatted really hard at each one. There were 22 big sister's. She said her ass burned for hours. However she is looking forward to when she is on the swinging end of the paddle. The pledges all had spandex gym shorts on. She said after the paddle line all the pledges 12 were given pillows to sit on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about In With The New! Very cool. I'm just starting back up blogging myself after taking a several year break! So I'll definitely be checking it out. :) I don't mind not having an audience in the beginning, to be honest. It sorta gives me time to figure out the tone of my blog overall. And I really just like having an account of everything I've done and experienced so I can go back and see how I've changed and what I've learned. Having an audience is just icing on the cake! :)

    ReplyDelete